Space Toads Mayhem is an arcade-style, topdown shooter paying homage to classics from the 1980s - some say it tastes like arcade-flavoured ice cream with laser blast sprinkles :)
It's a challenging, reflex-based game, rewarding a player who enjoys fast-paced action and can utilise enemy behaviour to his / her advantage.
- Dodge 'em up style gameplay: constant, skillful player movement is required in order to survive at later stages. Anticipation and skill are key as the player's spaceship is often not fast enough to twitch out of trouble at the very last moment.
- Enemies with personality: simple emotional states are implemented which affect how enemies behave. For example, each of the enemies chooses to attack the player at a different point in time since being spawned.
- Epic Powerups: Mega Death Sun and Vicious Red Hole are among those making easy work of the incoming hordes.
- Chance for a good drop mechanic: as the player progresses through the level and the difficulty increases, good powerups are harder to find and nasty traps start to appear (gameplay mechanic inspired by action RPGs such as Diablo etc).
- Arcade-style, challenging action: Due to a degree of unpredictability in enemy behaviour and randomised gameplay elements, it is not possible to truly learn any levels by heart - therefore the player needs to stay focused all the way through every single time.
The original Space Toads was a web game, created specifically for WebKit browsers in 2013.
It took full advantage of then still-fresh HTML5 Canvas element (and it's Canvas2d rendering capabilities). Due to unorthodox use of Adobe's Typekit font service and overall good technical execution, the game gained its creator Luke some acclaim within the webdev community. All in all it was a fun, challenging retroinspired shooter - to quote Sally Kerrigan from the Adobe Typekit's team "We don’t quite follow the backstory but we’re having too much fun to care." :)
Space Toads Mayhem takes the original concept further, introducing new gameplay features and aiming for even more enjoyable, deeper experience.
Space Toads Mayhem is inspired by a number of 8bit shmups we grew to love as kids.
The idea is to capture the very essence of classic titles such as Galaga or Space Invaders and infuse it with original ideas to create a new, unique, fun game.
It's all about high doses of succulent, retro-flavoured fun :)
Further Gameplay Details
The core gameplay consists of clearing incoming enemy waves in order to progress. There are powerup drops every set number of points which help the player on his quest to save the galaxy, as well as some potentially deadly nerfs that need to be avoided. Enemy volume increases and their behaviour becomes trickier to deal with as the player progresses, and there are also special types of enemies with a potential to cause loads of problems.
Various stats are being measured during gameplay - from score to player's accuracy, which will allow for a number of performance and gameplay-based achievements.
The game offers 5 hectic levels, each introducing a new trap, powerup or enemy type - and a jolly big boss fight and the very end. Those skilled-enough will be able to unlock Hard and Psycho difficulty modes, which significantly add to the player's punishment - but at the same time allow to score many more points.